The Dixie Building
The Dixie Building is the home of the Grady County Museum operated by the Grady County Historical Society. The building was built as part of a series of white brick buildings constructed in the center of the four hundred block of Chickasha Avenue in 1907. The building began as the location of the Dugan Department Store. In 1919 Ben Levine and Charles Miller open The Dixie Department Store. The store operated until 1994. The Grady County Historical Society purchased the building in 1995 to renovate as the new site of the Museum.
Geronimo Hotel Murals
The Geronimo Hotel was built by the Rock Island Railroad in 1912 and was located south of the Depot. F. C. Peyraud painted murals that hung above the wainscoting in the dining area of the hotel. The murals were intended to represent the Native Americans of the area. When the hotel was torn down in 1937 the murals were saved but after several moves the murals were stored in a barn. Years later they were retrieved by Irvin Munn and donated to the Grady County Historical Society. Five murals and a large piece of another one are on display in the main gallery of the Grady County Museum.
Located in the corner alcove of the Museum is a collection of communication equipment. A switchboard from the old McFarland Hotel, a section of relay equipment form Southwestern Bell Telephone Company, wall phone from the old party line days, a Dictaphone from Dr. Swan?s office, and a TTY machine from Jane Brook?s School are some of the items on view.
Rock Island Railroad
Located in one corner of the Museum is a permanent display that honors the Rock Island Railroad. Without the railroad locating its lines south of Minco, the development of Chickasha would not have been the same. Many of the items in the display came from the Estate of Florence Brooks, whose father was killed in a train accident. In addition to the artifacts in the display, the Museum housed an extensive photograph collection relating to the railroad.
The barn display was developed as part of the school children?s tour. Featured in the display built out of old barn wood are the sod plow, saws, harness, and water well bucket. Baby chickens along with a lone duck provide interest for the toddlers who visit. One special artifact housed in The Barn is the War of 1812 small ox training yoke. A Farmstead House is located in a front display window. The touring school children receive a booklet detailing the history of Indian Territory and its part in the early development of the State of Oklahoma.
Medical equipment alcove
The Medical alcove houses a portion of the Museum?s collection of medical equipment. The 1908 GE x-ray machine, 1919 dental chair, and medicine cabinet from the U.S. Army Borden General Hospital located in Chickasha during WWII are surrounded with other artifacts. Additional items including a doctor?s bag and prescription cabinet that dates to 1902 are also on display.
The Grady County Museum is housed in the former Dixie Department Store building, renovated to house the museum and various vendor spaces. The museum contains area history from all decades focusing on Grady County. Collections include early historical documents from the formation of the state of Oklahoma, records of early pioneers settling in the northwest corner of the Chickasaw Nation and Geronimo Hotel murals dating from pre-statehood. The museum also features Rock Island Railroad artifacts, military items relating to Borden General Hospital and the W & B Flying School dating from the WWII era, Grady County school artifacts, a barn and homestead house exhibits. The museum also has a vast collection of photographs dating from 1895 that document the development of Grady County. After touring the museum, make sure to make your way to the on-site Crazy 8 Cafe for breakfast, brunch or lunch.